Thursday 17 December 2020

informal letters / email

BEGINNING THE LETTER / EMAIL
Many thanks for your letter - It was great to hear from you
It was great to hear from you
Sorry for not writing earlier
Sorry that I haven´t been in touch for a while
I hope you and your family are well
I'm sorry I haven´t written for ages, but I've been really busy preparing for my exams
I thought I'd better write (and give you some more details about….)
It's been such a long time since we wrote to each other
How are you and your family?
How are things with you?
How was (your holiday)?
Thought I'd better / drop you a line / write to let you now …….

RESPONDING TO NEWS
Sorry to hear about your exam results
Glad to hear that you're all well
It's really good news that you (have passed your driving test)

APOLOGISING
I'm terribly sorry about what happened the other night
Sorry I couldn´t / didn´t manage to see you last time I was in Madrid

INVITING
How about (meeting up for a drink/coming over for a meal ) some time?
Why don´t we try to get together some time soon?
I was wondering if you might like to ( get together with the rest of the old gand next time you're in town)

RESPONDING TO AN INVITATION
Thanks very much for (inviting us to your party)
I was very excited when I got your invitation. Unfortunately, ………...so I won´t be able to make it / it doesn´t look as if I'm going to make it

MAKING A REQUEST
I was wondering if you happened to (know anywhere in Dublin we could stay)
If you've got a spare moment, do you think you could ………..?

REFERRING TO A PREVIOUS LETTER
Do you remember (that sports centre) you mentioned in your last letter?
You said in your letter (that you were thinking of applying for a scholarship)
Last time you wrote you asked (how Tina was getting on)
You know that (course) I told you (I had applied for). Well, …….

CLOSING REMARKS
I'd better stop and get on with (my studying)
I think that's all my news for the moment
Can't wait to (see you) on the 24th/next week
Don´t forget to say "hi"to…...from me
Anyway, / Well, That's all for now
Hope to hear from you soon
Hope this has helped
Let me know what happens
Give my love/regards to (your family)
Please write/drop me a line soon
Looking forward to (seeing you in July)
PS (=something you forgot and want to add) Please send me the photos you promised


There are various ways of closing letters to friends depending how well you know them.
- For very close friends or relatives you can use: With (all my) love, Love or Lots of Love
- with friends use: All the best
- With people you still don´t know very well use: (With) best wishes

No comments:

Post a Comment